Wednesday, February 3, 2010

love for dark chocolate

I've never been a fan of dark chocolate. When given the choice between milk chocolate, white chocolate, and/or dark chocolate, my ranking of the three would have always been: one, two, and three, respectively.

But in my recent quest for a healthier 2010, I've stumbled across the yumminess that is dark chocolate--particularly, Lindt's Excellence line (the Intense Mint Bar is my current fave). Either I've been missing out, or I've become so starved for something sweet as of late that this dark goodness has made a believer out of me.

Obviously one has to exercise some discipline where chocolate is concerned, but the Flat Belly Diet has the following to say about it:
Dark chocolate is rich in flavanols and proanthocyanins, both of which boost good HDL cholesterol levels. It also contains natural substances that help control insulin levels and relax blood vessels, lowering blood pressure, and provides important minerals including copper, magnesim, potassium, calcium, and iron.
Experts also say that chocolates with a higher "cacao," or cocoa, content--the package usually lists the percentage (Lindt is great about this)--are typically darker, less sweet, and slightly more bitter, but in a good way. Semisweet and other dark chocolates are low enough in sugar and high enough in monounsatrated fats to get accolades with the Flat Belly Diet folks.

So ... Happy February to me and my new lover, dark chocolate.

1 comment: