Monday, August 17, 2009

hbd, davy crockett

" . . . you may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas." -- Davy Crockett

David Crockett (August 17, 1786 - March 6, 1836), statesman and hero, was born 123 years ago today. In his final known written correspondence, penned to his son and daughter the year he was killed, Crockett said:

"I must say as to what I have seen of Texas it is the garden spot of the world. The best land and the best prospects for health I ever saw, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here. There is a world of country here to settle . . . I hope you will do the best you can, and I will do the same. Do not be uneasy about me I am with my friends . . . ."


The siege of the Alamo lasted 13 days. In the end the defenders could not return Mexican gunfire due to a dwindling supply of ammunition. The Mexicans scaled the walls, and the Texian soldiers fought using their rifles as clubs. All defenders were killed.

Thank you, Davy, for defending The Alamo and for reminding us that some things are worth dying for -- even when you're outnumbered 10 to 1. Happy Birthday, big guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment